View Single Post
Old 2011-09-11, 10:45   Link #1
Debs

dissertation on fansubbing, help!!

Hi fansubbers

hopefully this is the right forum where I can find some illumination for my dissertation on fansubbing! My question in the dissertation is whether the innovative and creative fansubbing practices can be imported into mainstream subtitling because they are so cool and useful! Could you answer my questions below? some if not all, it would be great!!! its only 6, thank you!!!!!

COLOURS

1) Often fansubs use different colours to identify different speakers.

a) Do you find colours add to the enjoyment of the program?
b) If and when you watch officially subtitled anime versions (using white or yellow subtitles) do you miss coloured fansubs?
c) Would you like to see coloured subtitles in professionally translated anime and other film genres?

INSERTS

2) Sometimes in fansubs Japanese writings are accompanied by the English translation right underneath.

a) Do you like this idea as it helps you to understand the kanji?
b) Do you think it spoils the authenticity of the program and the translation with a subtitle at the bottom of the screen is better?
c) Would you like to see this strategy in professionally translated anime and other film genres?

SUBTITLES EXCEEDING TWO LINES
3) Sometimes subtitles are composed of three or four lines
a) Do you find the three or four lines is too much to read and you miss out on the action?
b) Can you read more than two lines without stopping the video?
c) Would you be happy to see more than two line subtitles in professionally translated anime and other film genre?

NOTES
4) Fansubs offer translation notes on top of the screen to explain Japanese words, puns or to give other information.

a) Do you find them a useful tool to learn more about Japanese culture and language ?
b) Do you think they are a nuisance because together with the subtitle at the bottom of the screen it is too much information to read?
c) Would you like to see translation notes in professionally translated anime and other film genres?

5) What do you find annoying in officially translated versions of anime in terms of subtitles?

6) Still in terms of of subtitles, what do you miss in officially translated anime that you can only find in fansubs?