Old 2011-09-11, 16:36   Link #5
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thSin View Post
Colors
Different colors for each characters are annoying, but I think secondary color for background noise such as TV/phone etc is a nice alternative to italics.
I have experimented with using gray fonts (blue was original) for inner voice as an alternative for italics, but it was rejected by group's QC. I still think it looked nice though
Triple Liners
Not acceptable. It's a poor translation that ended up longer than necessary or poor line breaks. The readability of subs is important.
Notes
I like using them because it's not always possible to fully convey what's being said with subs alone.
Notes should never appear at the bottom though.
Pet Peeves
- Yellow fonts (this is retarded)
- Untranslated songs in anime (this is an extension of incompetent translators, pro film subs almost always have them)
Different colors, not for each character, but for multiple dialog makes it easier to differentiate between main dialog and extra.

Triple liners - yes avoid them - however the show "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" has massive complicated dialog. I should know. I know how to split the dialog to keep them to 2-liners.

A note like "(glick=glack)" at the bottom directly under the dialog can work and you don't have to look to the top of the screen while trying to read dialog at the bottom. I like to put the short notes in parenthesis. But huge notes should be in the credits at the end.

Yellow Fonts - You may not know this but the yellow color font was considered the standard for quite a while. It's not "retarded"(you could've just said you don't like it) - it doesn't blend in with the background as white titles tend to do at times. Of course, I'm old school - been doing fansubs since 1992. And I don't complain about the color of a font unless it makes it illegible. Some companies - like Bandai, Sentai, and Section 23 are going back to yellow subs.

Songs are complicated to translate - ask a translator(even my native speaking translators say they are difficult). Just because it isn't translated doesn't make the translator incompetent. Some groups wait for the printed version to be available so they can be accurate.