View Single Post
Old 2011-09-11, 20:12   Link #12
8thSin
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
And current DVDs are coming out with yellow subs again, fyi. The latest K-on! from Bandai and all of Sentai's and Section 23 as far as I can tell have yellow subs. So the info is now DVDs are currently coming out with yellow subs.

Now Funimation's Fullmetal Alchemist and several other of their shows that came out on BluRay have completely illegible white subtitles in many scenes. They get washed out by the background lighting or the "white-board" in one scene in particular. So the white subs with digital video is a poor point.

Yellow fonts don't hurt my eyes. And neither do white ones. To condemn something you simply don't like is childish. I've watch many digital and analog shows with yellow subs and there is no difference. I prefer mine with yellow fonts - but I'll watch white subtitles as well and not complain(as long as I can read them) If you simply don't like yellow, so be it.
Minor distributors like Bandai and Sentai/TAN/Section23 (compared to Toei, Kadokawa, Sony Pictures etc or any major US DVD distributors) can hardly be used as examples of quality or trend-setters. I don't have recollection of any Japanese DVDs or Hollywood movies I've seen in the past decade with yellow subs.

White subtitles are at least 100 times more common in DVD/BD subs today, and same can be said in fansubbing.

Funimation, if they really had pure white subs, then they made a typesetting mistake because DVD/theatrical sub standards are white text with black outlines. White and black produce maximum contrast, that's why it's easier to read than yellow and black. You're going to have a hard time convincing anyone to watch yellow subs with blue outlines, which has same amount of contrast.

As for yellow straining the eyes, I thought it was a common sense, but a quick search returns a website about colors that explains that. It's a website that specifically talks about colors. It's not as authentic as an academic paper, but I would say it's a pretty good source. Of course, you can get used to anything in time, and if you prefer yellow subs, that's fine, but the fact is, all major distributors as well as fansub groups today use white text with black/dark outlines because it's the easiest to read.

Quote:
I pay my translators so they translate the songs no matter what and we try and make them lyrical sounding if possible. If they have the song lyrics on the screen in Japanese it just makes it easier. They also go and find sources of info to confirm their translation of the song if necessary.
wut?

I was just talking about my pet peeves about official anime subs. I don't know what you paid to have translated, and my original comment was about official releases I've seen.