View Single Post
Old 2012-10-14, 10:43   Link #10
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
Doesn't change the fact that the specification has all those things, so format needs not upgrade in that regards.
I had the feeling the Picture event was supported, although it might've been those ASSDraw vector images instead.

The weirdest thing is that it even has Command support, which not only opens huge potential vulnerability (that's why no one in their right mind would implement that part), but also destroys crossplatform compatibility altogether.
The ASS (and SSA format on which it is based) has always been a specification defined by the software/hardware which implements it.
Anything other than [Dialog], [Comment] has never been implemented in any software to my knowledge, and most especially hasn't been implemented in vsfilter, which is the de-facto "reference implementation" (by being in fact, the only full-featured implementation of a renderer).

To say those commands are part of the standard means nothing other than that the text document of the standard lists those fields (and gives a rough description), but that text document is functionally nothing more than a ASS parsing syntax, not a specification. The true specification is only what is implemented by VSfilter. Anything else would count as an "extension to ASS" in my opinion.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote