View Single Post
Old 2008-01-19, 22:00   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
It does that because that particular scene is bitrate starved. It typically happens in dark scenes simply because the encoder program tries to save bits on those areas.
You're right, but the example he posted looks really terrible. I haven't seen an encode look like that since fansubs six or seven, maybe eight years ago. I've never heard of Kagami before - I just joined their IRC channel now and they look really small, perhaps new. If they're new staff then the encoder may be inexperienced. I'll download the episode and see if it looks that way to me as well.

If you want to improve it, you can look through FFDShow and turn on some of the post-processing options. It should make it look a bit better, but it's not a miracle cure by a long shot. And if the episode was encoded very poorly, you probably won't notice a difference.

Welcome to the joys of having a better monitor - when things look good, they really look good, but you notice the flaws in everything. Try to go for H.264-encoded material at higher resolutions if you can.

If there's no reply beneath me when I check the episode, I'll edit this post with an update on the episode. Otherwise I'll add another reply.

Edit: I watched the ending sequence and it didn't look bad at all - especially not anywhere near as bad as that screenshot. I'd suspect it's something wrong with your codecs or settings. Your screenshot also has the background looking like a light blue, while Eviltape's screencap and what I saw had a black background.

What codecs have you installed on your system? I suppose we can also go through your FFDShow settings. To make sure that it's an FFDShow setting and not a setting within MPC, try opening the file in a different video player and see if it looks the same.

Last edited by Ledgem; 2008-01-19 at 22:44. Reason: Episode viewed