View Single Post
Old 2012-11-11, 18:14   Link #487
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

If only the people making the gameplay have any quality relation to the CGI animators...

FF needs solid gameplay foundations. One can't assume you can release an incomplete game and "patch it later".

Sure, the likes of Skyrim are filled with game bugs, but all the game features are present, even if they don't always work as planned.

I feel bad for SE. I think there were some bad decisions made by leaders and there was nothing the grunts could do about it.

FFXI was a success... I wonder what went wrong that its sequel was so different? Shouldn't one build upon what worked?

It's all about transition between what the cut scenes show and what you actually see when playing. Maybe this is why Bethesda gave up on rendered cut-scenes and only use the game engine to make their trailers. It's not just that you want to look like you are in a cutscene, you have to play like you are in one. There was much work in Skyrim to make dragon fights as epic as the trailer. To make it feel like the trailer and the game are almost seamless. And this means good controls, camera work, and game mechanics that reward you for being the protagonist.

I am not trying to bash Square. I had been their fan since FFIV. I want a FF game that I am dying to play, that I would by an overpriced console for, that I would preorder for. This was what Squaresoft once meant to me.
The current MMO problems are not isolated, the entire business model is in doubt.

I just want my old Squaresoft back.