Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2006-10-02, 09:26   Link #2051
fignae
floofer. floof.

Read it all, yononaka, and I see where you're coming from. Dashing off some points.

It seems like a lot of this subjective element comes from the character designs. Personally, I don't look past that -- it just doesn't register after a certain point, I don't know why. The later episodes, especially.

I fight the anti-SP sentiment in myself quite frequently these days, because I'm participating in a thread elsewhere that loves SP to bits. I think it is bad to feel like this, and I certainly think we Simoun fans should be more subtle about it. But at the same time, people do tend to select different levels of tact when speaking, and it may be more hypocritical to hold back, I don't know. Honestly, for myself it may be jealousy speaking. Objectively, I support SP, sort of. It's not as horrible as non-fans say it is, and it's a milestone for yuri, which I do gravitate towards. The feelings are ambivalent, so I guess I concluded that the less I say, the better.

Oh no, the thread is definitely getting derailed. Is this against the rules?

I forgot who said the creators are making it up as they go along, but I'm pretty sure he or she meant some of the material, not all. The Japanese are humble people. We shouldn't take creators' disclaimers at face value. Besides, the author is dead, blah blah.

Quote:
What that tells me is that the fabled "greatness" of Simoun is the product of the fans filling the gaps with their imagination [...]
This is what any good text does. (Whoops. Okay, good, postmodern text? There are standards, and there are standards.)

All that said, I suspect it is the anti-SP undercurrents that brought out yononaka's words. I hope no blame gets thrown around. I think there is a middle ground to be found. I like reading critiques, 'cause some of us have been searching and searching for reasons why some anime fans can't take to Simoun, and this is relatively well-articulated.

edit: Argh, I can't seem to leave this alone. The entire HB paragraph is implying that Simoun is using its sex appeal to prop itself up and that it has nothing else. The problem with this argument is, if we disagree with yononaka there, there is no more to say besides flogging that dead horse.

Last edited by fignae; 2006-10-02 at 09:52.
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote