View Single Post
Old 2013-03-24, 11:28   Link #3905
akron88

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
The problem is that Kawamori has a real hard-on for not resolving romances in a traditional way, at least from what I've seen. So for some reason the two romance partners will not be together in the end, be it by just ending the series ( Macross TV ), abduction to the other end of the galaxy ( Macross movie ), discorporation ( Aquarion 1 ), stupidity ( Escaflowne ) and whatever the retarded ending to the second Aquarion series was, I already forgot. Oh, wait, there the two milquetoast mains were together, but the much more interesting female character was left alone. Okay, I'll give him that.
You know, what's funny 'bout that is that technically, his endings being what they are, and this being again a bittersweet one (which I think is over-used and over-rated), even so... I think it was miles better than the TV series: which was, so to speak, "happy". So, you'd think I'd applaud that as a change, but truly, for me it was an awful (and lazy) ending.

Tell you what, I bet if he came out with an OVA or another movie, we would still, at some level, be unhappy due to the fact the creator's way of finishing stories is either side of the scale or the opposite extreme of that side. By reading your thoughts on his other series (which I haven't really seen), that tells me that if (almost) anyone watches his works they can already expect a Kawamori' ending, since there's and established pattern.

But, of the series I have seen, I can observe a similar pattern (that is, either bittersweet ending or non-sensical just-as-inconclusive "happy" ending) I'd be willing to bet those are the kind of endings Japanese viewers expect as per part of their culture (maybe samurais and heroes killing themselves in legendary prose are a part of their collective conscience?), and either they cannot come up with an "out of the norm" conclusion or they would just dislike that.

All this means if we got another OVA or movie, it would be the exact same thing, and we would think the same thing at the end (damn us, westernized bunch of children!) due to a clear difference of values...I guess we should be thankful at least is a hopeful ending, since that's the closest to happy we'll get without significantly derailing the conclusion!

...oh, there's also the option in the next Macross (set 72313124029374304942392592952572352359235564597463 947640957693475346957345609347564395736509374 years in the future, we hear a sentence regarding what happened to Alto/Sheryl/Ranka )

Last edited by akron88; 2013-03-24 at 14:03.