View Single Post
Old 2007-12-18, 22:26   Link #47
ironbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fervor View Post
Focusing on the abortion aspect of the story unfortunately will basically lead to a never-ending debate. The only agreement is probably the statement that Makoto is basically trying to find the way out of taking on any responsibility.

At the core, it's the fact that this is HIGH SCHOOL is what defines this situation for me. These are teenagers. There is a reason why teenagers aren't treated as adults in a court of law, even though they are capable of doing adult actions.

There is no way that Makoto is so depraved that there is no chance of redemption. There was no intent to murder, rape or torture. I still think looking at it as a sex addiction is a pretty valid way to explain his downfall and his actions.

There is a reason why intent is so critically important in law. Arguably, intent is critically important in religion as well. Let's look at a basic example. Let's say you spilled a cup of water, which subsequently froze, causing someone to trip, break his neck and die. Are you guilty of murder? Of course not.

Now Makoto's situation isn't so obvious, but it's clear his intent eventually became getting sex for the least amount of responsibilities.
I am sorry for bringing the topic towards abortion but just felt that it would make a strong point towards...

That is something I never liked about the law. If a juvenile commits a crime, just because he is under age, I never felt that he should be treated any different than an adult, especially if he was able to pull off the act/crime that he commited. Just shows that if you commit a crime early in life, you get away with it.

Anybody would feel a sort of remorse at the end of the anime if you where in the shoes of the male lead. He didnt, not one bit, show that. Instead he steeps deeper into it which I felt, he wouldnt have changed even given time. Like you said, he has a sex addiction, lets said he didnt get murdered by Sekai, he gets idk, punished..even after the punishment, he is still a gonna sleep with other women while dating one...That is how it will be and its gonna be an endless cycle.

That example is too basic lol...a relationship is anything but basic and shouldnt be view in such a manner.