View Single Post
Old 2008-12-28, 19:06   Link #1437
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
@Ahn_Mihn:

I'm not judging them, saying they were evil or something like that. I'm not saying it didn't "work" for them. Feudalism "worked". Free-market liberalism "worked". Democracy "works". That is, until a better alternative levels up the field a bit.

I'm not saying they should have come up with medical science at the time, or realized that religion was a glorified caste system. I'd be stupid if I thought that--they didn't even have the tools with which they could come up with those conclusions.

But it's about progress. It takes time, but it happens... or at least I'd like to think it happens. It was natural for religion to occur, as it was natural for slavery to occur, and for feudalism to occur, and eventually, for slavery to be abolished, for free-market capitalism to crash and burn, and so on. And I believe it to be natural, if we wish to somehow attain a less inequal, more critical-thinking society, for religion to disappear, since the only thing it does, in its structure as an institution, is to establish inequality.
I see that WanderingKnight seems to have very cynical view on the world. To think that religion disappearing would lead to more equal and critical thinking society is very bias. I really can't see how religion disappearing would lead to more equal society. Religions tend to promote equality of people and religion at its core have very positive ideas. Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, and other religions do teach tolerance to its followers. Even Malcolm X, who was very much for segregation between races changed his mind after viewing the real teaching of Muslim religion. The thing that you want to disappear should be the people who abuses idea of religion.