View Single Post
Old 2012-07-28, 18:43   Link #62
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
The strength of a mafia or cartel is the quality of it's members, the number of members, and how well armed those members are, much like an army.
All of which is dependent, again, on money. It's the same thing with armies, you don't get anywhere without it, it's at the core of everything.

Quote:
Now I don't think you can ever fully stop gangs getting their hands on weapons, but by using gun control you can restrict the supply and up the prices so much that the gangs can never hope to be able to stand up to the police forces of the country, and so can never be too blatant in their criminal activities. They're restricted to more difficult ways to earn money like illicit goods.
Yea, just like drugs and alcohol during the Prohibition right? You vastly underestimate the ability of arms traffickers, and the existence of the rest of the planet - since when are criminal organizations forced to source their weapons from the country they're in?

Quote:
If I earn $60,000 a year, the cartel can easily seize $20,000 from me without lifting a finger by just turning up at my door and saying "It would be a pity if your house burnt down..." If I can turn to the Police, I no longer need to be afraid of such threats, but if the mafia are stronger then the police, then I need to pony up the money, and the Mafia gets money for nothing. They don't even need to go to the effort of shipping me drugs.
Not really, it's not like the police will put up a 24/7 watch around your house for the rest of your life

By the time organized crimes have that much influence, you (and the country you're in) is already fk'd.

Quote:
If the Mafia are physically stronger then the government, then yes, every city is a gotham in the making. They no longer need to bother shipping drugs for money, they can just use outright intimidation, which is a much easier way to earn money.
...You don't really have much grasp on modern military either do you? you think the kind of small arms you'd be regulating with gun control laws are that powerful? Even in Mexico the government have far more military capability than the cartels.

You're treating organized crime as some sort of insurgency with the goal of supplanting and usurping the government, which is fundamentally flawed. And even if we entertain your notion and assume it's true, your method of fighting them is local civilian gun control laws? That's trying to fight a forest fire with a toy water gun.

Crime is a social-economic issue, and that's where it'll need to be addressed. Gun is not what caused the cartels to spiral out of control in Mexico, nor would any gun control law solve those problems.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote