Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2013-08-04, 12:56   Link #29850
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
The problem is that we're actually heading there. What happens when you manage to automate virtually every step in an assembly line? When you can replace every office worker with some kind of automated software? When you can get 3D animation to replace even real actors? When you can replace a doctor with an automated tool that diagnoses and provides treatment?

I could go on and on and every example I could think of is actually happening today.

We're heading to a future where we may just turn ourselves obsolete and then what? How does capitalism itself, the concept of rewarding people with money for they work, continues to function when no-one needs to actually work any more?

We're at the beginning of a time where humanity itself may just need to re-evaluate the basic trading system that has served us for millennia.
Then those people can finally do something else.
Do you understand that the word computer comes from actual guys sitting at a desk all workday, computing stuff?
And not in a way a mathematician would work on a problem.
No, just adding numbers, because someone has to do it.

Are we sad, these jobs do not exist anymore? Where are all the jobless computers today?

We will never be 'obsolete', we will become more free. Free to do things we couldn't do before, because we were locked in some mundane activity.
Who wants to work at an assembly line? No one.
Maybe that actor will control a whole bunch of virtual characters instead and make their own movie?
That doctor can use his time to attend to difficult cases and leave the routine work to the robots. Or a doctor will be someone that trains robots? Finally good treatment for everyone, even the poor? yay.
Office workers already got a huge boost from the introduction of personal computers. There are still office workers, but they are more empowered now.

This has happened for over a hundred years now, so I'll assume the current system is well prepared for it.

Last edited by Dhomochevsky; 2013-08-04 at 13:06.