Thread: Licensed Scryed (S-cry-ed)
View Single Post
Old 2007-04-26, 01:03   Link #54
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Scryed is an extreme shonen fighter and it should be viewed as such...It's all about the characters (and designs), visual concepts, fight-creativity, and the uniquely different alter-powers...The character journeys are as cliche and enjoyable enuff IMO...If one goes into a character based shonen fighter expecting much more than this, one is simply asking for too much...For what it was worth Scryed was a really cool and enjoyable shonen fighter..Ridiculous visual acid (remember the epilepsy warning before the orginal eps?) with action and the always sucessful "clash of rivals" aspect...I orginally watched it in Japanese and re-watched the dub and enjoyed both (Many people hate Scheris' dub voice, but in actuality it matches the annoying tone she has in the original)..It has some soft and tender moments but it also has some very harsh and disturbing moments...

The lead character Kazuya is an extreme take on a common archeatype and I saw it as the creator wanting to tell a shonen-fighter from the perspective of a more insane type of aggresive character (You can only have so many happy-go-lucky shonen leads)...It even disregards the final boss for a final showdown of it's 2 main characters which was insanley fun BTW..It's about style over substance, but still there's substance (however cliche--but be reminded cliche is cliche because it has proven to be effective)...Overall this show is less about story and more about characters and universal themes, and by it's conclusion you see these things play-out to a bevy of color-soaked visceral action sequences (which is why you tuned in right?--That's why I tuned in)...Like I say alot of times, you have to put things into the proper context to ascertain the most enjoyment...

And that's why i dug this show..Now if I could just find out what the hell S-Cry-Ed means I could move on with my life^^...