View Single Post
Old 2010-09-01, 15:57   Link #8869
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
There are many promising areas of research in the computer field:

http://www.tech-faq.com/holographic-memory.html

It's hard to predict which areas of research will pan out and which won't.
I am not too optimistic about this technology in the near future. We had such research at my university and the big problem I see with this technique is that you need meta stable crystals. This meta stable material is today only possible when creating extreme environmental conditions (like extreme pressure or cooling). Therefore this does not sound too promising when applied in miniaturized non-laboratory equipement. Its basically a cool idea, since one can read a holograhpic crystal using all sorts of different wavelengths which would allow to reuse the same data position in the crystal multiple times. That makes it basically like a multilayer optical data disk (e.g. blue ray) but in 3D, so instead of an area of for example 1024x1024 bits you have a space of 1024x1024x1024 bits available (if we consider the medium size such a way that along its length 1024 bits can be transscribed). But as I said before, it is hard (today) to bring such crystals into a state where it can be read and written (meta stable). If there only was a meta stable optical material that worked under normal conditions and is highly rewritable and translucent.