View Single Post
Old 2012-01-30, 21:00   Link #48
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
What I take from this is that there's some value in rule consistency, clarity, and uniformity. That can make how a forum runs more predictable for users, and hence the forum becomes easier for them to navigate and participate in.

Very fair point.
I get the intent behind it, and I can appreciate it. However, these are discussion forums we're talking about, not road rules. Consistency among structure? To me that seems moderator-centric, because there are less gray areas. Are there any users who really care about that? I don't, and I really can't imagine that other users feel it to be something beneficial. It's not like people will get lost or confused - as long as people are titling their threads properly (which is something that should happen forum-wide, and that occasionally calls for moderator action) then I'd imagine it to be fine. I'm open to the possibility that I'm in the minority on this, but I'd be very surprised if that were the case. Should we put it to a poll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
3 Months after the most recent episode (or movie/ova) of an anime has aired, its associated series subforum becomes open to free thread creation on the part of users.
I was going to suggest 1 year after the last episode of a series is released, which would really ensure that there would be no explosion of activity (if that's what the moderator fear is) but open it up to having a steady trickle. Three months, six months... any of those are fine with me.

As far as consistency goes, just put a sticky at the top of those subforums to indicate that the forum is restricted until date X, after which it will open for free thread creation. That would also make it easier on moderators to know when a forum should be unlocked.