View Single Post
Old 2011-08-10, 15:13   Link #426
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahf616 View Post
Have to agree with you JB, especially since Tsuruya actually mentions the thing at the end of the novel.

Anyways, I'll say here what I said on tvtropes:

Just read both parts last night.

I'm not going to lie, I was actually rather underwhelmed with most of it, I guess due to the fact that it was really depressing ... until the final chapter. Then I realized that all the wait had been worth it (also, I guess since I'd already read the data space battle the instant it got translated that it didn't have as big of an impact for me). That final chapter though, ho-ly shit.

Random thoughts:

- Itsuki is credit to team
- I find it somewhat odd that Kuyou has almost gotten Karma Houdini status, in that no one seems to care that she tried to kill Haruhi. Sure it was at Fujiwara's insistence, but it's not like she had a problem with it.
- I see that there's probably at least a couple of plot holes that have been dropped, what with the Kyon who fell through time thing that happened at the end.
- A glimpse of all three TFEI at the end, surely this won't be the last appearance of Asakura. I really can't thank the Pt B enough.
It was an awesome read though. I guess I wasn't in the right mindset through most of it, but that climax just changed my perspective on the whole thing and made me appreciate the buildup a lot more.
I agree with pretty much everything you've just said. Except for the part about being underwhelmed. I personally want to know a lot more about Fujiwara and Kuyou, I don't really like Fujiwara as a person but he's awesome as a character, with what might be an interesting backstory.

As for Kuyou I want to know what her deal is. Is she ordered to obey Fujiwara? Does she do it of her own volition? Is she under his control? What has Kyon gotten himself into now? And what else has Yasumi got to do? I have almost as many questions about the characters as I do about the story at this point.
"There are no winners or losers, there are only the living and the dead."