View Single Post
Old 2013-03-28, 20:32   Link #1008
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
So what? Nanoha isn't Haruhi. What is wrong with wanting the main character, the one with the name in the title, to get the most development? That seems to be the arguement you keep using for Fate: she's a main character, and thus deserves more development. I'm merely reusing your argument for Nanoha... and then you suddenly have a problem with it!
You're right, but your reasoning was, "Because Nanoha's name is in the title she is the only main character, and everyone else merely supports her" If Haruhi is the titular character and she outright disappeared throughout 90% of the Haruhi movie, then why is Nanoha any different? I'm not saying Nanoha doesn't deserve development, what I'm saying is Nanoha's screen time is used differently than Fate. She's not shafted, she never has been. But you could easily cut some of her copious amounts of battle time for more development to her character. And then, she would be exactly like Fate. Not much in terms of action, but a bunch of nice character exposition. Nanoha and Fate work in very different ways, it's not because one or the other is a glory hog.

Quote:
Yes, I am. Dead serious. Nanoha has already given up her early SLB, and then also partially already given up her battle with Reinforce (sharing it with Fate now). I'd actually give more time to having Chrono fight it (along with Chrono, and possibly Fate). Read below to where I'll get more specific.
I have a hard time believing this, but if it's true, then power to you. Yet if you think Nanoha is already shafted, I can only imagine what you would think without that scene.

Quote:
Heh, funny you should ask this, because I was already in the process of getting time stamps to list what I'd cut. But it also depends on what needs to be added to properly address them. Let me give what I'd cut, as things not vital to the plot:

0:17 to 0:52 Rein's initial narration - 40 seconds
6:20 to 7:00 Nanoha and Fate meeting - 40 seconds
7:45 to 8:21 Fate joining Nanoha's class - 36 seconds
11:28 to 13:23 Nanoha and Fate walking and talking - 113 seconds
13:24 to 13:40 Nanoha talking to Yuuno in the library - 16 seconds
29:58 to 30:16 Nanoha and Fate stick training - 18 seconds
32:16 to 32:37 Fate gives someone an eraser in school - 21 seconds
38:23 to 42:00 Transformation sequences - 217 seconds
56:27 to 56:54 Hayate, Signum, Shamal talking about knight armor - 27 seconds
2:16:52 to 2:17:46 Lindy and Leti talking (might cut Leti entirely) - 54 seconds
2:21:09 to 2:21:40 Nanoha and Fate walking - 31 seconds
2:24:43 to 2:25:09 Scenes of Hayate talking with Ishida - 26 seconds
2:25:10 to 2:25:40 Nanoha showing RH to Arisa and Suzuka - 30 seconds

I can't help but feel that if it was left up to you Kaijo, you would make it boring for a lot more fans than those it would benefit. If the goal is to remove every scene that isn't entirely relevant to the plot, it's going to feel pretty stale to the fans who don't give a rats ass about the plot...Which is the majority of people watching it in theaters. The general populace already love the movie. That is, those who are not trying to search for its faults. Nanoha did not garner it's fan base from storytelling, or witty dialogue. Nanoha is about magical battles and moe, which I feel you're trying to heavily damage the latter. Oh right, and friendship.