View Single Post
Old 2013-03-28, 21:00   Link #1010
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
You're right, but your reasoning was, "Because Nanoha's name is in the title she is the only main character, and everyone else merely supports her" If Haruhi is the titular character and she outright disappeared throughout 90% of the Haruhi movie, then why is Nanoha any different? I'm not saying Nanoha doesn't deserve development, what I'm saying is Nanoha's screen time is used differently than Fate. She's not shafted, she never has been. But you could easily cut some of her copious amounts of battle time for more development to her character. And then, she would be exactly like Fate. Not much in terms of action, but a bunch of nice character exposition. Nanoha and Fate work in very different ways, it's not because one or the other is a glory hog.
Understand that it was not I that brought up the argument of "main character." You, and your side, brought up the argument to defend Fate's development. "Well, she's a main character, so of course she should get development over mere side characters!" Something like that. And so, I merely toss the argument back at you. Like I said, if you don't like that argument, we can drop it.

But if so, then you get no more arguments who who is deserving of screentime based on character status. Agree? You willing to drop the "because main character!" argument totally?

Quote:
I have a hard time believing this, but if it's true, then power to you. Yet if you think Nanoha is already shafted, I can only imagine what you would think without that scene.
As I said, the plot of the movie is more important to me than any one character. Hence when I laid out the two sides above. One side cares more about 1 or 2 characters above all else. The other prefers balance and what is best for the plot.

Quote:
I can't help but feel that if it was left up to you Kaijo, you would make it boring for a lot more fans than those it would benefit. If the goal is to remove every scene that isn't entirely relevant to the plot, it's going to feel pretty stale to the fans who don't give a rats ass about the plot...Which is the majority of people watching it in theaters. The general populace already love the movie. That is, those who are not trying to search for its faults. Nanoha did not garner it's fan base from storytelling, or witty dialogue. Nanoha is about magical battles and moe, which I feel you're trying to heavily damage the latter. Oh right, and friendship.
We all like to think that our viewpoints are the prevailing ones. It is an outgrowth of the idea that we are the center of our own universe. I am not so arrogant as to presume that everyone fell in love with Nanoha for the exact same reasons as me. The reasons you came to like it are yours, and to be fair, yes, there are a number of other people who like Fate.

But you can't sit there and pretend that there isn't a more varied fan base. Well, I suppose you can pretend if you want. But I find it really odd that a supposed Fate fan really wants to diminish the character they claim to love, by having her regurgitate her same plot issues over and over again, instead of allowing her branch out and explore things like her relationship with Chrono and Lindy. That even taking 30 seconds or 5 minutes away from her, somehow means the end of the world.

That's not healthy, dude. If you can't stomach your favorite character losing 5 or 10 minutes, when they they probably have at least half the screen time in a 2.5 hour movie, then I'd highly suggest you take a step back and reevaluate. Because it makes the rest of us see this. Fate losing 5 or 10 minutes will not kill the franchise nor chase people away. Especially since she's probably not losing that much, due to an expanded dream sequence that showcases her feelings and development toward her new family. And being a bit more badass in the first encounter.

But all you can see is what is taken away... not what you gain.

The franchise wasn't dying before we knew there was a scene where Fate gave a classmate an eraser. The franchise will continue on even if that scene never existed. It's not the end of the world.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote