View Single Post
Old 2008-10-15, 09:36   Link #994
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0nyb0y View Post
As has been reiterated for so many times, there's a lot of 'actual meat' to chew on than has been shown so far -- so much that those who know about the fact wish the ep. would go slower so that it can fill most of the good stuff in instead of skipping it. That's the main reason why people keep mentioning about the fact that anime watchers missed lots of details. And that's why it has been mentioned that Toradora isn't just another stereotypical Tsundere comedy, as it has lots of character depths to begin with. So I'm not so sure what 'usual antics' people seem to worry/mention about here, since there's just about none of that in the first place.
As an anime watcher, i have no reason to care about the stuff that was left out. All i know is that i got a fairly praiseworthy episode 2 in terms of development, and i have hard time imagining what alternative there could be to make episode 2 just as savor-able to me. Episode 1 threaded a fairly typical tsundere comedy path, albeit with some subtle implications there is potentially more to come. Now this might appeal to some people - its a matter of taste after all, and i can understand why the premise alone would be appealing to some. But personally i loathe tsunderes and/or random violence or similar implications. This is why i am glad episode 2 is what it is - if the show would have continued down the same lane as episode 1 (random 'comedy' with no significant development, only more implications there 'might' be more to this), i would have hight-tailed it out of here, without bothering to stick around to find out whether the implications ever become anything more than just that.

I actually entered episode 2 with full intent to be annoyed and drop the show after it, as i thought the direction it was going to take as obvious (here is what i expected to happen - given the premise set in episode 1, i was expecting it to follow a 'plot' of *Ryuji is trying to help Taiga get closer to Kitamura for X (with X being around 5 at least) number of episodes, while she keeps failing miserably for one reason or another, keeps lashing out at Ryuji as result, all the while preventing him to pursue Minori and leeching off his cooking, likely not offering as much as a word of thanks in return, and calling him a dog that is supposed to serve her for good measure*) .... i was very unexpectedly (and pleasantly) surprised the episode didn't turn out as a minor variation of what i described above, and actually showed Taiga as someone that is not beyond hope yet, which is the sole reason i will be coming back for more.

Of course i might have just shot in the left field with my 'prediction' on how i expected the show to progress and maybe the source material isn't like anything described above, but if it is then i am glad it was skipped.

As an anime watcher, it boils down to this for me: i am in no position to give a flying rat's arse about whatever material is getting skipped, so i judge Toradora anime without any prejudice (aside in having an instant negative on my scale at start for being tsundere) , based only on what we have seen thus far ... and i believe it to be a quite commendable success thus far.