View Single Post
Old 2009-06-22, 00:06   Link #290
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Well you make it sound logical, but then I thought to myself....

Yeah, as the saying goes... "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Yes, you can look at it this way.

But then what determines greatness? When someone comes up to me and gives me a movie saying "It's a great American classic!" What does that actually mean? Because with your logic, we could consider just about anything to be great.
Ahh... I see, well, I consider "greatness" as you are using it to be different from enjoyable.

I enjoyed K-On alot, but I would not label it a "great" (classic) anime. Why? Because it's Light and Fluffy. There is little depth to it- that's okay by me because not every show has to be deep. So I might call it great- but in the sense that it is enjoyable fluff. I would not label it as an anime that people will still value 20 years from now. Similarly Lucky Star is a great anime in the sense that it is a lot of fun, and t might reach the level of "cult classic" but it won't be a true classic 20 years from now- if only because the target audience is to narrow.

Compare this to certain anime classics like: Starblazers, or Maison Ikkoku or Fullmetal Alchemist. Those shows have a depth and greatness to them that can transcend things like animation styles or changes in culture. Maison Ikkoku is so 1980s to anyone who lived through it, but you don't have to remember the 80s to experience the meaningful development of romance.

Some "great" shows I don't even enjoy.

Take the play Hamlet. I recognize the depth and greatness of the material- but truthfully I just don't enjoy the story. So while I've read the play, and occasionally gone to see it, I did so because the greatness of the material made me feel it was worth seeing even though it's not my kind of story.

So I guess what I would say on the topic of K-On is that sure, if you wanted a more music focused anime then you are going to be a little disappointed. Same if you wanted drama.

But I don't feel the need to defend K-On as the greatest thing since sliced bread. I enjoyed it. I think the hype is over done and it makes me roll my eyes sometimes- but whatever. I'll enjoy it- why? Because I've had friends in a band, and they acted similar. I have a cousin who plays the bass, and she sure enjoys K-On because she she so many common things from her life in it.

If you don't enjoy it, I guess you are free to explain why, but I would suggest avoiding debates over it because what is the point? There's nothing wrong with loving or hating K-On. I guess I just don't see much point in trying to convince people that they should like or dislike an anime like this.

If I talk about it with someone I just say that I like it and explain why, and if my friend says they don't like that then I just say okay, and suggest a different genre of anime for them to watch. (Compared to say one of the classic anime I mentioned earlier, which I might push a bit harder because I think the "greatness will win them over, even if it's not their normal cup of tea).