View Single Post
Old 2010-06-10, 19:56   Link #1992
Kylon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiza Sunozaki View Post
But ironically, the only way to easily explain Umineko is to apply the Author Theory, which I'm not a personal fan of, or admit that magic must exist in some format.
Just not on October 4th and 5, 1986. That is the absolute.

To be honest, the Author theory would've been a real theory back in EP2 had I or the various other people who had the same thoughts had the guts to present it. 8) But it probably would've been shot down (as it did with my friends) as 'too weird' or 'that's so lame!' or 'not enough evidence.' Back then the theory was so incomplete that it really was all those three things.

But once EP6 came out, and with the hints along the way I would daresay that it's not really that kind of theory any more. It's the kind of theory that the episodes had been telling us over and over again. At least the core concept that someone had to have written the stories and not the particulars and added on consequences that we've been discussing.

I want to note that these particulars and consequences are still up for speculation. For example, just because we say the stories has an author doesn't mean Hachijou is telling the truth. In fact, if you look at the styles of the games, I'm sure we've all see just how EP5 and 6 are messed up.

Maybe the surprise for EP7 will be that she will be exposed as a 'hack writer' who was responsible for the rather lacking EP5 and 6. And yes, she may know some the truth and can give us some hints but ultimately she doesn't know enough. EP3 and 4 may turn out to have been stolen by her but was really authored by Beatrice or yet another author named Beatrice (Beatrice of Legend vs. Moetrice?). And finally EP7 will be authored by someone called Berknastel.

… yes.. I don't like Hachijou or Featherine. 8) I suspect she's another surprise villain, but an incompetent one.

EDIT: Oh yah, the Author theory is really a theory borne from observation of the clues left by Ryukishi... like following a trail of bread crumbs. So... I've been wondering if the Author theory is one big psyche by Ryukishi. Maybe this is leading us down a dangerous path somehow?