View Single Post
Old 2012-12-16, 17:10   Link #201
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Yes, I am, because I did not feel that the just-retired system was that broken to begin with and, even then, many people got upset over receiving negrep that A) ultimately didn't matter, because the more heavily weighted posrep would have eventually rendered the negrep moot; B) was just part of a game that wasn't meant to be taken seriously.
You're right. But I think that these are things that sometimes takes time to learn.

I'll admit that I once attached too much importance to neg rep. It took me some time to realize that, with the possible exception of someone acting as a complete troll, neg rep would never effect you as much as pos rep did.

Once I made that realization, I stopped caring about neg reps aside from concerns over them potentially silencing some unpopular opinions here.

However, I've personally found that opinions are more diversified now then they used to be. I probably wouldn't credit the rep system for that, but it doesn't seem to me to be hurting matters.

Quote:
I strongly believe it will be for the better.
Why? What concrete improvements do you think the change will bring?

I see a couple ways it could get worse. Speaking of which...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
As other users' feedback also seem to show, I agree that the rep system was easily the most convenient tool when a simple "I like your post" is what I wanted to deliver, or an appreciation of someone's thoughtful response to me which I may or may not be inclined to respond in kind. Barring all the moderation headache, it was useful, and scrapping it will not remove the urge to give a simple thanks -- it just makes it harder.

I noticed just as much about the QFT type posts in some other forums, and let me tell you that they are much more annoying than rep by their sheer ability to pollute a thread and render conversation doubly difficult.
I completely agree with this. I think it's very beneficial to have some sort of quick and easy tool for a simple "I like your post" to avoid these QFT type posts. They really can be very annoying and render conversation doubly difficult.