View Single Post
Old 2012-03-19, 10:20   Link #289
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

The biggest mystery here is how can a beautiful woman like Reiko not be married yet?

j/k
Finding the Other is not the only mystery here. There are basically two things that need finding out currently:
- who is the Other?
- how does the phenomenon work?

The first question is self-explanatory. The Second one is a bit more complex as there are multiple things that need to be found out:
- what is the source of the phenomenon?
- why does someone die each month?
- why does it not happen each year?
- why do countermeasures only work half of the time?
- how do you stop it?

Disclaimer: I watched the anime until episode 10. I did not read the novel, and while I read the manga (currently at chapter 15) I consider it void for figuring out the anime.
The spoiler tags cover material shown in the anime from episode 01 to 10 only.

Spoiler for my speculation for the phenomenon:

Now, about the Other:
1) They have to be someone in connection to the class who died previously (this death having been forgotten)
2) As I mentioned in the speculation, I think that the Other has to be someone the class wishes to return/who’s death they didn’t acknowledge.
3) Meta-wise it’s realistic to expect the Other to be part of the A-team and not a redshirt, so that narrows the roster considerably (obviously this info is not available to Kouichi, and I’ll feel really silly if it turns out I’m wrong).
4) The suspects are further narrowed down due to Mei’s revelation in episode 10.

Now the only clue we have to the identity are possible inconsistencies which the phenomenon couldn’t correct. “There’s no reason to alter a fake”.
Spoiler for what I think are inconsistencies:

And finally, here’s my current speculation for who the Other is:
Spoiler for whokickedthebucket?:

Last edited by don_Durandal; 2012-03-19 at 10:50. Reason: Ritsuko's pictures