View Single Post
Old 2007-07-03, 16:16   Link #2071
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

^I actually loved the Escaflowne dub for the same reason why I loved the Gundam Wing dub as they both share A LOT of VAs, but I guess to each their own. On the other hand, I didn't like FMP's dub as much; not because the VAs are bad, but because FMP isn't FMP IMO without Tomokazu Seki's "Mondai nash". ^^;

Of course, nothing still beats Steamboy as my favorite dub so far. Even though the part he plays isn't one of the main characters, Patrick Stewart just freaking rocks. I hope they sign him up for more dubbing in the near future. (Though admittedly, I'm behind in my Miyazaki DVD collection and so haven't heard him in Nausicaa yet) Also doesn't help that the red headed girl's seiyuu was too over the top that I wanted to strangle her, which is kinda odd since she's a good actress otherwise... >_>

Overall I like subs better, but that's only because from what I have seen so far, the average seiyuu has a lot more experience than the average VA. Just looking at the extreme end of the spectrum, compare how long and how many shows the likes of Hocchan, Kawasumi Ayako, Tomakazu Seki, Morikawa Toshiyuki have done to the English VA counterparts of their roles and you'll see what I mean. Heck, even this show's Hirano Aya is still considered a 'newcomer' despite the fact that she was already dubbing 5 years ago.

I however would never buy sub only DVDs. I have maybe seen 95% of shows before they're even licensed, and buying one with no-subs would be just a waste of money for me since once you think about it, its just better quality video with another take on the translations. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't 'share' better; if there's a show I have to show to my friends, it better be in english dub otherwise they wouldn't even touch it. This is especially true when kids of other families come to my house, I'd pop in something like Kaleido Star in my entertainment system and they wouldn't be able to keep up with the subtitles.

But anyone here know how much does dubbing actually costs? I find it hard to believe that having no dubs actually makes a big of a price difference. Just judging from one series I have an eye on (Macross), Animeigo's sub only DVDs are relatively the same price as ADVs.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote