Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-15, 03:05   Link #3348
orangejuicetang

Well, we've known from the very beginning that Saki is a ridiculous monster of the highest levels just by her ability to be able to get +/- 0 at will (which is a feat more impressive than Rinshan Kaihou imo). But honestly, I don't really think you can really compare Saki and Shizu that much because apart from the fact that they're both the captain players for their teams, there's not much similarities between the two of them. To give an analogy, Saki would be like Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin, somebody established from the very beginning as being really powerful and likely among the best. Whereas Shizu would be more like for lack of a better example off the top of my head, Yusuke the soul detective, who starts off much lower in terms of comparative power to the enemies around him but quickly improves via fights with strong enemies and training. Although in this case all of Shizu's training and 'fights' against strong opponents are shown off screen, which seems to what the main issue comes down to. On one hand, since it seems like Achiga may have only had a predetermined set amount of chapters from the beginning, Ritz may have had to cut some things and compress some things, leading to the mentioned pacing issues, and alot of the mahjong matches were compressed down to only one or two hands, if they were shown at all. Of course, Ritz may have also chosen not to give as obvious hints in order to have the final chapter feel more climatic. I don't know whether it was forced by various issues if a deliberate choice, but it does come at a cost, which has been mentioned and discussed quite extensively already.

But onto another point that just struck me. I'm not very familiar with mountain climbing or the Japanese culture as related to mountain climbing, but Shizu was solo climbing/hiking mountains as early as her first year in middle school if not sooner? Is that dangerous for a person so young to be doing that kind of thing alone or is it one of those things that seems dangerous but is actually pretty safe? (has no idea)

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote