Thread: Timing Guide
View Single Post
Old 2003-11-11, 13:54   Link #7
Sakaki-
AnimeONE Typesetter

Quote:
I've heard arguments both for and against this viewpoint. Some viewers complain that the more "inclusive" subs often spoil upcoming dialogue and prevent them from relishing "moments" in the episode. Shorter subs are indeed annoying if they are accompanied by sub-blinking, but if the transition is smooth, where is the harm in having shorter subs to enable a closer approximation of the "listening" experience (i.e., information only enters the brain as the dialogue is said)? Any thoughts?
Well i would say, There are times when the gap betwene the lines are to little so i don't leave a space betwene the subs, but when theres fast dialouge it gets very annoying.

"where is the harm in having shorter subs to enable a closer approximation of the "listening" experience"

Well i want kind of short subs, But there are times when you need to have loger ones too.

Quote:
Also, do normal viewers even notice the difference between blipping/non-blipping subs and subs that "bleed" over scene changes versus those that do not? Most people tell me they don't start noticing until these factors are specifically brought to their attention, and that their viewing experience is then compromised by the fact that they start noticing all these "glitches" they were not aware of before (the fate of all QCers, apparently). Most people seem to be concerned only with whether the subs are accurate and stay on long enough for them to read. If so, are these fine-tuning processes truly worth tearing one's hair out over? I suppose the guide is but a guide and exceptions are to be expected, but I just felt like asking these questions anyway. ^^
Quote:
I've been thinking about that before and I'd say yes and no. Learning about poetry, all the subtle things the poet has (allegedly) put into the poem to convey it's meaning. Unless you learn about them you wont really notice them, but you'll still get the effect of them. I guess the same could be said about subs. The subs look a lot more tidy when you cut them at the scene, I think it's slightly more enjoyable to watch a episode that has been timed well than one that hassen't. (edit: actually, see my comment about eyes at the bottom of the screen bellow, I think this plays a factor)
And I would say my viewing experience has been compimised slightly by knowing all this, allthough saying that I feel all the more enjoyment now watching a well timed episode, knowing a fellow timer has put hours into the script and knowing I wont have to keep an eye out for funny subtitle timings (keep my eyes glued to the bottom of the screen) and can enjoy the artwork a lot more.
I get slightly annoyed after watching a non scene timed sub.
And i got annoyed even before becoming a timer of that, It feels like getting the sub out was rushed and gives a bad feeling.
As you say i feel more relaxed when it scene timed, I don't notice the subtitles as much then.
Sakaki- is offline   Reply With Quote