View Single Post
Old 2009-03-21, 15:54   Link #1028
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
I guess what I’m trying to point out, is that the attraction focus in Japan is the face, while in the States and probably most of the West, it’s the body.
I guess I'm rather Asian, then? For me, the face of a girl is much more important. The body is important to the extent that I don't think I'd be attracted to an overweight girl but I really couldn't care less about curves and protrusions. Similarly, I've thought to myself, "ah, I wish I had a nicer face", but never, ever had any desire to tone my body.

I've given my objective opinion: face or body, both are superficial. My subjective opinion is you can learn more about a person by looking at the face than the body since the face carries expressions and emotions.

Quote:
They probably decided that they couldn't make much more money that way. There isn’t a group out there more willing to spend their money than the otaku group.
Point taken. Nonetheless, I still find the line between Toradora and Kare Kano, Hana Yori Dango, etc. to be extremely fine and I wonder why Toradora couldn't be marketed as-is to a mainstream shoujo audience in addition to its otaku fanbase. I had a look around online forums of lower calibre than Animesuki, and non-Japanese girls of the "typical shoujo fangirl" type seem to absolutely adore Toradora... so why wouldn't cross-demographic appeal succeed in Japan itself? (This is just one example; I'm sure there are others.)
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote