Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-12-03, 14:59   Link #4852
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
So they should be locked up for life because they might kill again? By that logic, everyone should be locked up. Both you and I can potentially kill someone at any time. A simple blunt object does well enough to kill someone, and there's no shortage of them laying around a house. Hell, we don't even need tools. Bare hands have been proven to be effective weapons. The whole point is someone who commits manslaughter did not deliberately kill the person. IE they're less likely to go out and kill someone else. Just because a person has killed someone once because of a bad split second decision does not turn them into a monster out for human blood.
You misunderstood me. If authorities know the man killed randomly, and they know he can do it again, then it's only fair that he receives the same punishment because he has already killed. I'm not saying someone should be thrown in jail because he is a potential danger, but he because he is in fact dangerous and has been proven to be so. I also apologize if I misunderstood you. If you always meant that the cop killed unintentionally, then the circumstances do change. I was referring to a case where the murder, while not premeditated, was intentional. I have only been referring to policemen who wrongly feel they are above the law because they represent it. If the murder was unintentional, it depends on the circumstances. If he admits what he's done and pleads guilty, death isn't warrented, but an extensive amount of time in jail is. If he hides the fact and pretends it never happened, it's the same as casting away the guilt and pretend that it meant nothing, in which case, the crime can't be forgiven by a mere 20 to 30 years in prison.

Quote:
In fact most people who commit premeditated murder aren't that likely to kill again either.
I did say people who can kill at random (and intentionally) are more dangerous.

Quote:
Also the way one arrives at a result does matter. Suppose someone comes at you with a knife. You're able to grab his arm and the two of you struggle for a bit. Now if he kills you, he's clearly committed murder and should be thus charged. But what if during the struggle, he dies instead? Should you be charged with murder for his death? After all the end result is the same, someone's life is taken, right? Or should the fact that you never intended to kill him and it was self defense enter into it?
That is a case of self defense, it has nothing to do with what I was discussing. My argument was against those people who commit an act of murder, not an act of self-defense.

Quote:
We were originally talking about a case in the US. US jails were thus the ones that were most relevant to the discussion. Still, while western European jails may be better than US jails, that still doesn't make them friendly places, especially for an ex-cop who may arrested some of those prisoners himself. Even if it is a nice place though, he's isolated from his friends and his family. That alone makes things tough.
It still wouldn't absolve him from the crime he's committed, that being to intentionally kill someone at random because he believes he has the right to. Of course, this was said for the sake of argument, nothing more.