View Single Post
Old 2013-05-10, 05:45   Link #188
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I never said partners for life.
The key point here is that their society isn't structured in a way that would prevent from thinking about the other sex, in fact on Avalon that is probably encouraged.

So nothing should prevent Ledo from seeing Amy "in a different way" which was the original suggestion that originated this chain of replies.
Ledo might be an oddball on its own though, since he apparently doesn't care much about Avalon, but he should know about the possibility for a man and a woman to "pair up" to "reproduce".
And since people are given the option to choose whom to reproduce with, this isn't seen just as a duty. Obviously they choose the ones that they like. Everyone on Avalon is already judged fit for reproduction so the government shouldn't have any problems letting people go with their preferences.

Whether love is a concept that exists or not is open to speculations. Considering that the alliance soldiers are shown to be well capable of human emotions and human-like decisions I find it hard to believe that they do not fall in love ever.
I think that it happens, but they probably do not see it as something that ties people forever hence why families do not exist, along with the fact that they probably aren't free to raise their offspring.
Thing by the unisex shower pic the guy is desensitized by the female body.

Can you imagine getting a boner in such a situation? Its embarrassing.

Assuming Avalon has civilians I think soldiers are not given the benefit of family. At least a nuclear one. I think the Alliance has a caste system. They can't be all soldiers or else they wouldn't have a colony.

The picture Ledo is giving of Alliance life is suspect given that he seems to be brainwashed with memories suppressed.