View Single Post
Old 2014-07-20, 03:07   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroi Sekai View Post
I honestly don't really see why this is even a topic, some auditions just turn out that the best turnout happened to be a female. No matter the method of reaching their decision, the opinion is entirely subjective if it's "lame" or not, so that's what I think.

What I mean to say is that there could be a thread like this for any casting, and it would be equally subjective 'round the table.
A subject matter being heavily subjective doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad topic. Well, from what I get from the OP, this thread is meant as a place to express our opinions regarding the aforementioned specific subject matter. And yes, I think this topic is a valid discussing material as we see there are many cases of women unsuccessfully voicing male characters in their late teens and adult age. And of course, all of these are subjective personal opinions and there’s nothing wrong about expressing it here.

That said, I agree with Kadmos about adult Goku’s voice. Many supporters of Masako Nozawa made excuses that since Goku is an alien and has the mentality of a child, the “grandma” voice fits him just fine. Well, I don’t think so. You can still express innocence with a male voice, and the alien excuse has nothing to do with it as we witnessed how Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta (dudes from the same race as Goku) have “proper” adult male voices. Using Nozawa to force her grandma voice to sound like adult male (and it shows) is a bad move imo. Yes, Toriyama pointed Nozawa as Goku’s voice himself, but it was for the child-Goku. When the time came for the story to reach adult-Goku’s phase, I get the impression that Toriyama was just “going with the flow” with the studios decisions and stayed with Nozawa. He seemed not as enthusiastic with choosing adult-Goku’s VA like he was when picking child-Goku’s VA. I know, maybe that's just me.

I, however, have no problem with female-voicing-male in general. For example, Himura Kenshin’s voice being effeminate is pretty cool as I have learnt that some Japanese males from the feudal & bakumatsu era do have that kind of voices. And the most important thing of all, the VA did a great job and her voice fits with the rather-effeminate Kenshin character really well.

As for Shinji and Armin. Eh, I guess I'm neutral about them. I don't hate them, but I'm not crazy about them either.

Last edited by Kotohono; 2014-07-31 at 20:04.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote