View Single Post
Old 2011-05-09, 03:44   Link #80
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Crap... so I was right about Tohru. Ko needs to come visit Kissuiso.

It's not really her first paycheck though, because her mother paid her for kousekeeping. I know that may sound like an allowance, but to Ohana it was still a paycheck since she still had to work to earn it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That's a fair point, I hadn't thought of it that way...

Just because she has to work of it, it's still allowance though. There are plenty of families, where you need to do house chores to get your allowance. (granted, Ohana did more than just a "few" house chores)

In her mind the 8,000 yen was still allowance, since she noted immediately that it was calculate from her age x 500 yen and that work is great because that's the reason she got 20,000 yen and she didn't get shafted by her grandma because she's family. (assuming Ohana got the similar amount as Minko, Nako doesn't count since she as she doesn't work there as a live-in)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Or they're like me and just haven't bothered arguing about it.

Frankly, the biggest thing dragging the show down at this point is the pacing. There are a lot of unnecessary scenes in the first half of the sixth episode. It tends to stretch things out far too long and spends time on things which don't further the story or characters in any meaningful way. The characters are entertaining and I like the story so far, and I generally like this sort of show. With tighter pacing like the first two episodes had, this show could be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
I agree that the pacing is somewhat slow, but I'll say this again too: The first few episodes are always more exciting because of the freshness of the show, that coupled with the great execution of the first half of episode 1 make the rest feel a bit disappointing.

The reason HanaIro feels slow is that it doesn't have a noticeable plot that spans over all the episodes. Meaning that you can only address one problem in a single episode, which is exactly what's happening since the beginning of episode 2.

But then again, if you sum up what has been revealed in this episode, it sums up to a decent amount. Also don't expect writers to 'cut to the chase' that fast, because they need to hold the suspense of the public. Remember, this episode was partially a fanservice episode like episode 3. That indeed drags on for too long.

I don't agree that pacing is the problem, shows like these has alway been in similar pacing. These shows are slice of life and in East Asia (China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea) they are referred as healing-genre anime. The whole point of these shows are simply be pleasant, relaxing, and uplifting similar to K-On except K-on is also more of a comedy and moe genre. Too much up and down will just ruin the genre, it's like asking harem anime to have zero fan-service or shonen action to have no fight scenes. But of course, there's always chance they can pull a Madoka here and turn it into a dark series which could be interesting but I hope not since pure healing-genre is hard to come by these days as is and a good one was even less.....

Either way, all the news I got from East Asia is that the series is widely considered as one of the top and most well-made series this spring along with Kaminomi and Ao no Exorcist. The city of Kanazawa has began promote their city tourism alongside as the anime air, and the Chinese subbing group for Hanairo has ballooned to 15 by my last count.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2011-05-09 at 04:41.