View Single Post
Old 2006-02-20, 00:17   Link #280
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuffy
Because no one in the target audience cares about correct spelling of foreign words. This show is aimed towards jap otakus where the most part proboboly slept through english classes and thus really don't need to know how to use latin letters nor don't care a single bit about weather the spelling is correct or not for something written in a late night anime show.
Just like how 99.9% of the people in the western world don't give a damn about what the chinese characters says outside of their china restaurant. It looks good, and that's about it.
In fact, it isn't infrequent for the billboards and other signage to have mangled japanese words in the background. Its just background. The japanese are also very fond of shirts with random English phrases on them --- the shapes of the letters are pretty.

note: I'd appreciate it if you'd use something else than the term "jap" ... it is considered derogatory in most of the world. The japanese I know react pretty much the same as one might to the terms "nigger" or "wop". If you're in that much in a hurry, type "JP" (the country domain name).