View Single Post
Old 2007-09-03, 19:28   Link #48
Major1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Yes clearly Clannad and Lucky Star are the only possible contenders for the best anime of 2007.
Well, I suppose you could interpret it that way, but I just figured he meant that Lucky Star might not even be Kyoto Animation's best series for 2007, never mind best of the year. To be honest, I'd have to guess that Kyoto Animation will take Clannad much more "seriously" than Lucky Star.

Lucky Star is a fine series, and I enjoy the over-the-top self-referential humor, but it's hard to deny that the series has a lot of "wink wink nudge nudge" in it, which doesn't go over well with everyone (as the fact that we're even having this discussion would suggest). It also doesn't help that I sometimes think that Kyoto Animation gets both something of a pass from their fans and extra scrutiny from their detractors due to their relatively rapid ascent in popularity.

Clannad will probably get treated much like Kanon did, with much more fidelity to its source material, and assuming the series isn't total crap to begin with, will probably go over much better with a broader audience.

As for the episode itself, the first half was pretty good, but the second part, with Kanata was spot-on. Those bastards at Kyoto Animation sure know how to tug at the heartstrings...