Old 2010-07-14, 01:09   Link #1
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

The Apocalypse Survival Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Additional Rules for General Apocalyse Survival Discussion:

1) Basic courtesies apply, and try to keep the discussion focused on the topic at hand.

2) All possible Apocalypses/Apocalypsi are allowable, save for Religious themed Apocalypse. If I see Jesus (etc), then you will get warned, infracted, or banned (depending on my mood or the severity of the revelation ).

3) Try to complete one survival discussion at a time (this isn't a stringent rule, just a possible way of keeping the overall conversation on track). It's hard to sustain several different Apocalypses at the same time, so let's try and focus on an individual Apocalypse and how we could potentially survive (points if you can survive without a Gun ).

If anyone wishes to set-up a revolving field of discussion (Plague, War, Natural Disaster, Alien Invasion, Triffids, back to Plague, etc), I would be more than happy to moderate the discussion, and even post the discussion time-table in the OP.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah I wouldn't begin to guess how I'd manage during these kinds of circumstances.
Well, surviving the beginning of a zombie apocalypse is really largely up to luck. That is, when the outbreak first starts, hope that you aren't right in the thick of it.

The next few steps are pretty elementary, and just require logic.

1) Avoid (former) population centers. Zombies are sure to be crawling over every surface of large towns and cities. The country is where you'll find greater chance of refuge. Places like apartment complexes, hospitals, and emergency response stations will inevitably be swamped.

2) Do NOT under any circumstance fight zombies hand-to-hand except as a last resort (i.e. you're out of ammo). The chance of infection is incredibly high in close quarters. It's practically suicide.

3) Stay in a group. Though you might be slower, there is relative safety in numbers. Don't make the group too big, though, because that will draw unwanted attention. Loss of the rule of law will create a potentially hostile environment full of marauders and outlaws.

4) Aim for the head. No matter what kind of zombie it is, a headshot will almost always kill it. That being said, firing your gun should be only when you have no choice, as zombies will almost certainly be drawn to the noise.

5) Arm yourself amply, but so much that it encumbers you or makes you a target of other human survivors. Concealed handguns are best, and silenced weapons are worth their weight in gold. Same for shotguns, but be mindful of ammo limits.

6) Don't bother driving if you can help it, as the roads will be so backed up it is likely you will be attacked while stuck in traffic, a really stupid way to die.

7) Don't call 911. Places like police stations, hospitals, and other emergency response will inevitably be swamped. Same for cell-phone service. It is best to get yourself to safety, THEN try to contact loved ones.

There are other rules, but I won't bother. If a zombie apocalypse ever happens (as incredibly unlikely as that is), I know what to do.

I did notice with interest that the author of the manga (now anime) calls the zombies "them". Which makes sense for this group of students, but not everyone would. Most people would call them either "infected" or "zombies" out of ease-of-use. I would argue 60% of the people would call them zombies, and most of the rest would call them infected. I can't imagine the remnant population of an entire country calling them "them".

Last edited by james0246; 2010-09-25 at 09:25.
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote