Thread: World of Tanks
View Single Post
Old 2011-02-27, 21:58   Link #51
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
A hint to people in the lower tiers: You are probably being shot at by higher tier tanks from very far away because higher tier tanks generally have a higher view range. Tank destroyers tend to also have lower view ranges than turreted tanks (this encourages you to have friendly tanks in front of you). Additionally, higher tier tanks require more grind and therefore their crew levels are likely higher, the crew % makes a WORLD of difference. I wouldn't go for a new tank unless I could use credits to raise the crew to a respectable %. Also, as you go up in tiers it may be beneficial to retrain your crew to the new tank.

EDIT: To people who aren't penetrating a tank when they are lower tier:

don't use auto aim, it often aims for the most armored part of the enemy (their turret).
- use weak points to your advantage. For example, hatches, viewports, machine gun ports, are often weak spots on enemy tanks.
- flanking is a good strategy, if you are sufficiently low tier, enemies will often ignore you while they are engaged with a higher tier ally, allowing you to get some damage in. Just make sure to retreat when the enemy turns a turret towards you.
- sides / rear are often the weakest point of a tank.

<-- Just got the tier 10 American heavy tank, T30 and it kicks ass except for a few things:

- lower tier tanks on my team think "OMG, top tier tank he must be godly!" and follow me everywhere blindly. Therefore, whichever side I go to, will be heavily stacked with tanks, leaving no one to guard the other flanks. When we lose I often get blamed because I couldn't race back and destroy half of the enemy team by myself.

- lower tier tanks on my team think "OMG, top tier tank he must be godly!" and therefore hide behind me everywhere I go, restricting my maneuvering space as well as using me as a shield. I have camouflage training on my crew so my tank isn't spotted as easily as the folks behind me, but when they shoot at them they end up hitting me. The T30 has TERRIBLE armor for a top tier tank and every time I take a hit it hurts.

- being the highest tier tank is like having a bright neon sign that says "SPGS SHOOT ME" flying atop of the turret - expect that everyone on the enemy side is gunning for you, and whenever you reveal yourself half of the enemy team will rapidly ping their minimap and announcing your presence.

- I often get blamed when you don't destroy half the enemy team, cap their base, and protect all of the artillery by myself at the same time.
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote