Thread: Licensed Negima Manga Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2004-09-26, 09:40   Link #203
Diaphanus
Usor Linguae Latinae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney2K
I think I read in the news recently that some latin language body recently added new words to the ocabularyvay, and some linguists didn't like the new words the body came up with because they were applying ancient application to what were essentially modern words. Obviouslyway isthay odybay idn'tday employway Akamatsuway-enseisay!
Well, the Vatican released the impressive (well, I think so) Lexicon Recentis Latinitatis (Lexicon of Recent Latinity) a few years back. It's full of neologisms such as capitilavium (for shampoo), vesticula balnearis Bikiniana (for bikini), and even instrumentum lasericum (for laser). I can see why people would be against the creation of new words, though. Then again, new Latinistic words are being created all the time in fields such as Biology. There is a difference between Classical Latin (written by Cicero, Julius Caesar, Ovid, and such) and Neo-Latin (written by Isaac Newton, Christopher Columbus, Galileo, and such). I doubt people would object to the names Tyrannosaurus rex (a Latinistic name created from existing Greek and Latin words; it literally means King Tyrant-Lizard) and Velociraptor (literally, Fast Thief), though. Even I like coming up with Neo-Latin terms. I once referred to Asuna as tintinnabulicoma, bell-haired.

The person who created the cards probably used the Lexicon Recentis Latinitatis to find some of the Neo-Latin terms.

Anyway, I would like to know more about those cards! Some of the information on them seems pretty cryptic to me now: tonus and directio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney2K
Not really off topic... but- yay for flying turtles! Is that the spoiler or is it the text?
I didn't notice that flying turtle until you mentioned it! How cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
Asuna's full version sword says "MINISTRA NEGII ASUNA" whereas ChaChaZero's blade says "MINISTRUM MAGI CHACHAZERO." I personally think it just means "mage's partner so-and-so."
That's about right. "MINISTRUM MAGI CHACHAZERO" means "attendant/follower of the magician ChaChaZero." "MINISTRUM" is neuter here.

"MINISTRA NEGII ASUNA" means "(female) attendant/follower of Negi, Asuna." Notice that extra "I" in "NEGII." It isn't an error, but a Latin grammatical feature. To make things simple (perhaps too simple), in this case, it means "...of Negi."