Thread: Licensed Negima Manga Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2004-09-29, 09:44   Link #208
Diaphanus
Usor Linguae Latinae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney2K
Asuna: BELLATRIX SAUCIATA/WOUNDED FEMALE WARRIOR

I figure that (from the image) Asuna's power is that of a fighter, but what does the 'wounded' mean? Wouldn't that be classified as a weakness? I interpret that as meaning 'fights even when she is wounded', something that's backed up with her virtue being 'audacity', or boldness and daring.
Well, I was able to think of some ways that Asuna is the BELLATRIX SAUCIATA: she is pretty feisty, and she wears bandages in that picture.

Quote:
Makie: ARMATURA QUINQUIPLEX/FIVE-FOLD EQUIPMENT

Makie is an acrobatic gymnast, so why five-fold equipment? We know from Vol. 2 that she is able to use her gymnastic ribbon as a limb extension. Well, (I could be wrong) but isn't there five disciplines as a female gymnast?
I don't know about that, but I can see that she is wielding five different kinds of items in the picture:

Ball (Latin globus)
Hoop (Latin circulus)
Batons (Latin virgae)
Ribbon (Latin taenia)
String (Latin filum)

(I can't guarantee that the manga would use those particular Latin words, though. They're the words that are likely to be used if they are used.)

I decided to look up the Latin word armatura again. Its main meaning is "armor" or "equipment," but it apparently can mean "armed soldiers" (plural). The Japanese site that shows Japanese translations of the Latin words on the cards shows "五重の武装者" (something like "fivefold armed person") as a translation of "ARMATURA QUINQUIPLEX." So perhaps armatura should be translated as "armed person" in this case?

Quote:
Chisame: IDOLUM VIRTUALE/VIRTUAL IDOL

I originally thought that with her computer skills Chisame would have the ability to manipulate computer systems, perhaps even be able to access and enter the cyberworld.
I actually thought that "IDOLUM VIRTUALE" referred to how she takes pictures of herself and posts them on her site. She is an "idol" in the people-like-her sense, and "virtual" is used in the computational sense.

Someone else around here may eventually realize that idolum is a neuter noun in Latin. However, when you give people epithets and appellations in Latin, the words don't always match up with the gender of the person. Sometimes they just can't. ("Donald Duck" is translated into Latin as "Donaldus Anas," but "anas" is usually feminine.)

Quote:
'Fortunising' isn't a word, but it's meaning is clear- 'to make fortunate'.
Well, the Oxford English Dictionary has "fortunize" and "fortunizing." Here's a screenshot (since it's not free to see the entries):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../fortunize.gif

The "FORTUNIZING" in "FORTUNIZING CHEERLEADER" is supposed to be a participial adjective that means "making fortunate" or something like that (but not "to make fortunate"). It's meant to be a translation of the Latin fortunans, meaning something like "making fortunate," and is a present participle form of the verb fortunare. (Fortunare is the infinitive meaning "to make fortunate.") "HILARATRIX FORTUNANS" sound okay in Latin, but unfortunately, "Making-Fortunate Cheerleader" sounds a bit weird in English. "Fortunizing" sounds like a good word, but it seems to be obscure and rare. Perhaps "Cheerleader who makes others fortunate" would be better in English, but that's not a direct translation of the Latin text. If you can come up with another word or set of words that sounds good in English and means "making fortunate" or even "making lucky," I'd appreciate it.

Quote:
You need to read Love Hina!
I have been meaning to do that! Naru ("antemnicoma" meaning "antenna-haired") and Motoko ("chelonophoba" meaning "fearing-turtles") are cuties, I think!

Quote:
Ayaka: BURGENSIS FLORENS/BOURGEOIS ABOUNDING IN FLOWERS
"BURGENSIS" gave me trouble at first. I thought it meant "person of the city Burgos," but that didn't make much sense to me. (The "-ensis" suffix is tacked onto place names in Latin make a word that means "of [name of place]." "-ensis" was tacked onto the end of "Chin" to get "Chinensis" meaning "of China" or "Chinese." Rosa chinensis literally means "Chinese Rose" or "Rose of China.) Then I saw "burgensis" being used as a translation of "bourgeois," which did seem to fit.

Florens is a present participial form of floreo ("to flower"), so it means something like "Abounding in flowers" or "flowering." It can also mean "shining" or "flourishing." In Ayaka's case, since there are flowers behind her, I decided to use "ABOUNDING IN FLOWERS."

Quote:
(unless you watch DIC Sailor Moon, in which case she does have a pair of "outstanding talent" .)
I know about that!

Quote:
The only things she has in abundance is beauty, intelligence, wealth, style and a love for Negi!
She certainly is "shining" and "flourishing," huh?

Quote:
Satomi: MAC[H]INATRIX INSANA/INSANE INVENTRESS
What I see on her card immediately makes me think that she is the "mad scientist" type.

Anyway, I noticed that there are some Latin phrases indicated by the Japanese script in the preview-for-volume-3 pages (192-195). These might be spoilers, so I'll hide them just in case:

Spoiler: