Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-16, 18:24   Link #23712
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
This article is...sensationalized.
It's the Telegraph, the voice of Tory Britain for decades. The Telegraph is the "high-Tory" paper, while the tabloid Daily Mail targets a more "middle-brow" conservative audience. Murdoch's The Sun is a mass-appeal paper much like his US property the New York Post.

I noticed that the New York Times has no story that I can find on these maneuvers.

An article in yesterday's International Herald Tribune about the Senkaku conflict observes that Tuesday is the anniversary of the 1931 Mukden incident* which began the Japanese conquest of Manchuria. This event is depicted in episode seven of Senkou no Night Raid and was considered so controversial that it was only shown on the web. Sounds like we should be seeing another round of anti-Japanese demonstrations in a couple of days.

The IHT reports a disturbing comment late last week from "the state-run Beijing Evening News [that] China should use nuclear weapons in the dispute, claiming it would be 'simpler.'"

*Having read the description of this event, I thought I recalled a scene in a videogame where a railroad station was bombed. Sure enough, it's in the first installment of the JRPG Shadow Hearts. The time period is all wrong, as the game takes place before World War I, but the first time you meet Marguerite (the personification of the famous spy "Mata Hari") she is bombing a railway station in Manchuria.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-09-16 at 18:54.