View Single Post
Old 2008-09-07, 13:15   Link #2074
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
By agreeing to support Sheryl as she sings, Alto is, in reality, indeed taking a passive stance in supporting Sheryl in the sidelines as she sings to her last breath. He promised to stay by her side as she sings, not because it was the most "logical" thing to do, but because it was the only thing he could do.

The clock is ticking away Sheryl's time, and both of them knew it.

It has also been hinted that this isn't the first time Alto had taken such a stance, when the scene lingers briefly at one shot of Alto's mother. If there is one thing that Sheryl and Alto's mother had one thing in common, it would be Alto, for he has lost a loved one once, and is now in the process of losing another loved one.
In my opinion the residence scene is mainly symbolical. It provides us with insight on both Alto and Sheryl. Especially Alto. In the tradition of Macross, every character decides on their path in life and they stick to that choice. Hikaru in SDF based his choice on this assumption and I'm guessing Alto will as well.

The problem with Alto is that he's passive throughout the series. Altos choices in life are based on the life he lead previously as a child. It was influenced by his mother early in his life. Even after he joined S.M.S his 'sky' was still far away. Up until this point in the series he did nothing to change that.

In the residence scene we get to see the picture of him as a boy standing beside his mother. It's shown right in the middle of his monologue to Sheryl. In my opinion this is the representation of his earlier situation. The same thing has happened before, when he was a boy. Back then all he could do was to let his mother stay in the residence and watch the sky. I agree that as a boy he had no other choice, still, in the current situation he has all the power to do the oposite.

The picture shows us that Alto really does not know right now that his current way of acting will lead to the same thing as in the past. At that moment he acted as that passive boy that could do nothing but to accept the facts he was faced with. It may seem cruel but in supporting her that way he's sentencing her to the same fate as his mother.

The confirmation of that are the words of Ozma. Alto is doing nothing but floating around on his current momentary emotions. Furthermore, it's indirectly implied that Alto's still a boy right now. On the contrary, Ozma is presented as a man that knows exactly what he has to do in order to protect women he loves.

It may be farfetched but I'm guessing Ozma represents Altos situation in the triangle. Ozma has a sister to get back and a woman to protect. And yes, right from the very start i couldn't see Ranka as anyone more then a sister figure for Alto

If that's the predicament of Episode 22, then I'm guessing that Frontier is heading for Alto x Sheryl ending, at least in a way. Anyway, all the possible Ranka x Alto endings don't convince me at all. Most of the current Frontier story and character development would have to be scrapped in order to do that. On the other hand the 'surprise' factor we're given in one nasty interview is ruining my mood while thinking about the ending.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~