View Single Post
Old 2012-10-04, 13:09   Link #230
Vmem

Hi All, new member here. Have really enjoyed the discussion of SAO and wanted to join

@ Grey Moon:
Since you brought up GW1, I have to say that SAO really reminded me of my attempts at getting the legendary survivor achievement (1.337 million exp without dying starting from character creation; for reference, you needed about 20k exp to hit the level cap in that game...). True, I was never in any danger in RL, but once you get past a certain point of the journey, it almost felt like the people in SAO. I remember repeatedly grinding in noobish areas, carefully scouting any unknown regions, and just playing everything as safely as possible. It took me two failed attempts to eventually get the achievement on my third try, took up the vast majority of my gaming time in about a year or so, and each of my two failed attempts felt a bit like dying... (I had gotten so used to seeing the avatar run around and complete quests etc etc.) Anyway, must like Kirito before he met Asuna, I spent my entire time soloing because it was much safer than partying up with someone who's either unreliable, or just impatient.

What I learned from the above experience is:
Now, if you guys looked at the numbers above, you realize that I would essentially have to hit the game's level cap 67 times. even with respawning, I eventually got bored of staying in noobish areas or just farming certain mobs. So I ventured on (hence how I failed twice XD; guess I would be dead if it was SAO), even went to the underworld for a brief spell . Even though this was nearly 10 years ago, reading and watching SAO STRONGLY reminded me of my survivor experience in GW1, those of you who've played hardcore on Diablo would probably feel the same way. as an early player who attempted this. I wonder if the Author of SAO has had similar experiences as he portrays these elements of SAO quiet well. if you only have one life in an MMO or MORPG, the only way to keep moving forward is to enjoy yourself. at some point you get bored of the endless farming and slow down, look around at your world and use the experience you've gained to help weaker players. Although it's perfectly understandable that Kirito's ideals of "the virtual world is a real world too" is a moral lesson born from the real world, I can't help but point out that such an experience can actually be felt even from playing a "lame 2D MMORPG".
Vmem is offline   Reply With Quote