View Single Post
Old 2010-09-08, 02:43   Link #50
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoropa View Post
Alrighty, let's move on from the weekend question, since I think we've got a lot of content (and anger and confusion and all other emotions) on that. Besides, the conversation has shifted to something more on what makes up American culture in general. Somebody earlier said something I really liked, which was that the American culture is composed of multiple smaller cultures (not sure if I want to use the word subculture in this context), and that the sum of these (which is different per person) makes up a unique American culture for each person. But the additive property of culture here is what makes America America.

So then from that we have...
American culture on a macro level
American cultures on a micro level
American subcultures

How would you guys differentiate between those three? Or, maybe you think that there should be more/less in terms of categorizing it? Let your thoughts be known fellow Americans/observers of Americans! And don't worry this time I won't come off as such a close-minded douche (unless you perceive that, in which case I apologize in advance).
I'm still confused.

American can't be different?

Not going to analyze the whole country, takes too long. Just analyzing Californian culture would take a long time.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote