View Single Post
Old 2012-11-14, 00:12   Link #274
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
SAO:
When people die ingame, they also die in rea life. Consequences to rea life.
ALO:
People die ingame. Who cares? It's just a game, nothing really happened and real life can go on. 0 Consequences to rea life.

The point that i'm trying to make and that some people don't seem to get is that ALO is just a game. And i don't get how someone can take a game more serious than rescuing his wife.
Well, death can't be the only thing that make game actions consequential. Otherwise, what value is the relationship Kazuto has with Asuna in the first place now that they're out of SAO? That's exactly why Kazuto asked Asuna if their relationship was only "in-game", and she got mad at him. And when Sugou tries to suggest that Asuna might as well "have fun" with him since it's only just a game, she doesn't see it that way either. To both Kirito and Asuna, the game world is just as real as the "real world", and so neither of them are going to betray their values for their own gain just because there are "zero consequences". The relationships formed in-game are real, and when Leefa was in trouble, it was the noble thing to help. It doesn't override his primary mission but what he knows of the situation isn't enough to betray that value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
But in the end this discusion is pointless in the anyway because i don't really believe that for Kirito is wasting time because playing around is more important than saving Asuna.
My problem is just that the author, director or whoever is resposible for this, makes it seem like Kirito prefers to play around instead on really trying to reascue her.
Perhaps, and I know you keep quoting my point (so I do understand what you're getting at), but by the same token I don't think it's because he's trying to "play around". I think he's trying to do the right thing by Leefa as well for the people she cares for as well as for Asuna (who, for all he knows, may not even be there, and doesn't appear to be in active present danger given that Sugou needs to continue keeping her alive for his plan to work). I agree that it would help to expose more of what Kirito's thinking, but I wouldn't assume the other extreme either.

Anyway, this debate has gone around in enough circles by now, I'm sure.