View Single Post
Old 2012-08-08, 09:49   Link #21
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
In theory it's just analysis, it should be possible... but I'm certainly not a programmer and would hate to write the error checking code required.
Well, I am, and I'm already telling you in advance that most of <<Cardinal>>'s capabilities (not all) are possible in RL. It does require quite a lot of work and preliminary statistical analysis though. (Example: <<Cardinal>> would have gotten ahold of different scenarios and convert it to something like a Quest.xml.)
Code:
<Quest>
<Message>Some random player message.</Message>
<LevelReq>??</LevelReq>
<Reward>Random_Item_Probably</Reward>
<NPC>SomeNPCID</NPC>
<OnCompleted>Insert Generic Script to activate some other Quest here... maybe</OnCompleted>
<!-- other important things like Location etc will go here... or NPC, etc. -->
</Quest>
Things get more complicated from there...

For <<Cardinal>> to create conflicting quests, or quests in arrangement, or even WORLD-SHATTERING events... say... the end of <<Old ALO World>>...

Code:
<Campaign>
<ID>???</ID>
<Name>Excalibur Quest</Name>
<AntiID>???<!-- ID of the conflicting campaign --></AntiID>
<Quests>
<Main index="1">MainQuest1's QuestID</Main>
<Main index="1a">Frael's QuestID</Main>
... and so on...
</Quest>
<OnCompleted></OnCompleted>
<OnFail></OnFail>
</Campaign>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
OTOH, when Cardinal was mentioned in Calibur, Kirito and Klein point out that it came out with some rather broken repeatable quests. So it's certainly not perfect. Then again, how good does your code engine have to be to produce a "<cough> <cough>, I'm sick and need ten wolf pelts to get better", "Oh my, I'm feeling much better now, unfortunately I won't be able to work today either, could you collect ten boar pelts for me?", "Thanks so kindly adventurer, I wanted to take my wife out for a date in big city X today, could you collect twenty five rabbit pelts for me? I'll give you this wonderful piece of pocket lint and a healing potion in exchange".
Do the above codes that generates scripts like above and you have your own mini <<Cardinal>>. NPCs generate <<needs>> which generate <<quests>>. Linguistic analysis of stories and generate a preliminary outline for it, then generate a campaign based on these circumstances.

If multiple NPCs generate similar <<needs>> or has <<conflict>> with <<another group of NPCs>>, quests are generated by almost the same method.

As for player-made stats, it could be based on <<player's emotions>> which <<Cardinal>> had been monitoring since. Then "generate" words based on these emotions: <<Dark>>, <<Guilty>>, <<Wonder>>, <<Frabjous>>...

Generate words based on <<NPCs>> and their ideals. <<Elven>>, <<Martian>>, <<Earthly>>, <<Elusive>>, <<Tanquility>>.

Identify adjectives: <<Dark>>, <<Guilty>>, <<Frabjous>>, <<Elusive>>, <<Light>>.
Generate nouns from adjectives or verbs: <<Darkness>>, <<Guilt>>, <<Frabjousity>>, <<Elucidator>>, <<Lighter>>, <<Repulsor>>, <<Ignitor>>
Generate prepositions from nouns, adjectives, etc. <<of Guilt>>, <<of Light>>, <<of Darkness>>, <<of Revelation>>
... ah you get the point.

... and of course, relate these words to the characteristics of the sword created.

Last edited by ronelm2000; 2012-08-08 at 11:06.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote