Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-05-03, 04:09   Link #13461
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I think the Converatives managing a majority rather than a minority and the sudden NDP surge in the final weeks of the campaign are bigger surprises to most Canadians. The Bloc's support in recent years came not just from separatists, but also from federalists who were left leaning and wanted a left leaning counterweight to the Conservative party, but were pissed at the Liberals. These people were going to jump ship once they were once a federalist alternative was sufficiently well established in Quebec, and the NDP established itself as such this campaign.

As for the results... ugh. What's the point of electing a strong leftist opposition with a Conservative majority? It's not like Harper respect the opposition parties much even when he had a minority government.

We really need to either get proportional representation of some sort in the country (not happening) or merge the leftist parties. The latter is possible but with the NDP being so strong now I'd worry about it being too leftist - I prefer center-left politicians and I think they'd stand a better chance of siphoning votes from the Conservatives too.

Never had as much against the separatists as most Canadians, but still nice to see them go because it makes unifying the left easier. Kind of glad to see Ignatieff lose his seat - and likely, the Liberal leadership in the coming days - too, since while I identify as a Liberal, I'm a left leaning liberal, and he's too right leaning for my taste. Disappointed to see Ujjal Dosanjh lose in Vancouver South since he was always one of the strongest moderate voices in the Vancouver Sikh community.
So some comments and questions as a Yank;

Why were some Quebec federalists pissed at Liberals?

I take it that you are not a fan of the Tories huh? An interesting editorial in La Presse said that people should be wary of jumping on the "I kept Canada stable during the recession" bandwagon because apparently it was due to more STRINGENT financial regulations Canada didn't get in the same mess as we did. Policies in place BEFORE Harper.

Do you think seperatism is fizzled out in Quebec?

Why do you think Harper and his guys did so well, because he was good or the opposition just sucked that much harder?

Do you think the Libs will need to reinvent themselvs ala UK's New Labour or is the country still too Left to require that.

Sorry if the term "too left" is odd, I just use it as a relative term because down here there is such seething animosity towards central federal liberal ANYTHING that alot of your policies in Canada seem like something from Mars to most to Americans either in that they disaprove of it or are amazed that it could ever be legislated (cause it wouldn't in this country )

Also just to add, I one thing I am envious of is the electoral district system you all have, especially in it being administered and renewed by an independent body. THE RIDINGS ACTUALLY LOOK LIKE THE MAKE SENSE COMPARED TO OUR STUPID GERRYMANDERED DISTRICTS!