View Single Post
Old 2012-01-04, 09:56   Link #35
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Instead, they could have been pushing for higher prices all along, which would create the impression that home video animation is actually a luxury product, which is what Japan has going for them now for decades.
That's how it started, and it nearly collapsed the industry before it even started going. I'll admit though, that once you start high and drop, it's almost impossible to turn back to the high point. They should've started low to bring in fans and then raise it, but what's done is done.

Quote:
What this means is that there will be less job and profit opportunities in the North American sphere in connection with anime (and manga soon).

All in all, I see this as a good development. Now Japan only needs to create anime that I'd like to own again!
While there may be alternatives being made in Japan for anime, what's to become of manga if they all keep going this route? Obviously that isn't likely to happen, but it's not like they can include an alternate english set of subtitles for manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Sentai seems to be good at scoring properties I really like (EF and Ikoku Meiro no Croisee being recent examples). But personally, my favourite R1 licensing company is NIS America, becuase their Premium Edition box sets are gorgeous.
They had two series I wanted (ToraDora and Pandora Hearts). They butchered the Pandora Hearts video, and if I recall the ToraDora video was messed up at first too (though they eventually fixed it). I don't trust them at all, regardless of how nice their premium sets are compared to everyone else.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote