View Single Post
Old 2012-09-24, 08:33   Link #355
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I didn't consciously consider money as a limiting factor when I picked Sarif's ending, sure at the beginning it would be but once it was wide spread I'd believe augmentation would be more widely and cheaply available (but than again healthcare is some abominable demon entity in the USA when compared to the one we have here in Australia, so my experiences with our system probably color my expectations when it comes to getting access to medical related stuff). But I can see the rich get richer thing still, far as I'm concerned that's always gona happen regardless of what ending you pick, its just who gets richer is the difference (my comments about Adam and regulations in that ending were just me justifying things to myself a bit).

I had the impression Darrow wanted to abandon all science related to humans, not strictly augmentations, and leave it up to the people - maybe i read to much into that. But like you said, pandora's box has been opened, there is no real closing it... it's just going to result in power struggles and conflict, hence chaos and anarchy. If only a 1/4 of the world was Augmented the sheer chaos and loss of life and damage to infrastructure would astronomical, it would essentially send humanity back decades of not further, and I have a feeling it would have been even higher than that based on how many Augmented people you come across in the game (practically every second person).

I would think it would be very hard to not have regulations after the events of Panchaea, no matter the ending. Governments would have pushed for an explanation for why half the world went batshit crazy, blaming dodgy Neuropozyne, or Terrorists, would just mean that there would have to be better quality controls (which would mean government standards/oversite generally).

The illuminati weren't on Panchaea either, other than Zhao and Darrow. Bob Page, and others were still... elsewhere. I think regardless of ending, its just one stumble in their grand plan.. as you see/hear from the post credits dialog, they were already concentrating on further research... which leads to the events of DX1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It's actually best to play Missing Link before you get to Omega Ranch, since that's where it fits in continuity-wise. I don't know why they didn't simply make it insert into that portion of the game. I don't understand "standalone DLC" that isn't actually standalone. x_x
I kept getting told to play it after finishing the game, because I was going to play it like how you mentioned. But I held off.