View Single Post
Old 2011-03-20, 17:02   Link #281
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikou View Post
I don't see why it "should" be? Who says it should be?
Perhaps you should think about that. The fact that you don't appear to know makes it very difficult for me to discuss anything with you.

As much as I'd love to go on a long tangent about moral philosophy (and perhaps it would be better to PM me about it if you wished to), I simply can't unless I can understand the philosophical framework upon which you base your decisions about moral acts. As far as I know, you don't have one. If I'm wrong, feel free to illuminate me, but we are drifting somewhat off-topic, and the thread probably doesn't need that.
Quote:
Do you not see the purpose behind my hypothetical, though? There are situations where revealing the truth can only lead to bad consequences. It is not an absolute that "The truth must be revealed!"
The existence of potentially bad consequences do not cease to make an action morally desirable. Being punished sucks, hurts your feelings, and may restrict your freedom or cause you physical harm. That doesn't mean it isn't right at times.

There are situations which may justify delaying revelation of the truth. However, there is never a situation which justifies supplanting truth with a lie, even temporarily. At times, immediate pursuit of the truth may have negative consequences which necessitate its delay. However, there is simply no such thing as a situation which demands indefinite and eternal concealment. Ever.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote