View Single Post
Old 2007-09-29, 13:48   Link #275
bluelight41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
My point was, in Claymore, full humans don't possess Claymore-level physical abilities. (Or Claymores wouldn't exist in the first place.)
You are correct in saying that in Claymore, full humans don't possess Claymore-level physical abilities. I am not arguing with you on that point. Nothing in the manga so far has shown that any human could even touch the weakest Claymore. I'm simply suggesting that given the way this manga/genre of manga is written, it is certainly not out of the question for Raki to acquire this ability somehow, whether through hybridization or some other plot device.

Quote:
I'm saying that if he was intelligent, he'd try something that has a chance of working, or lower his objectives. But protecting Clare with just a sword is ludicrous.

Or maybe he'll help them by being bait, or being the one to talk to the humans. But slaughtering ABs? Not going to happen. (Unless he's claymorized or something, I suppose. But then, there's his awakening to deal with...)
The thing is, I really don't think there is anything that he can do to help Clare, short of being able to pick up a weapon and fight side by side with her. Why would he lower his objectives? I know you said that he can them by being bait, or being the one to talk to the humans, but those ideas, particularly the one about being the ones to talk to humans, really don't make much sense to me. Why would the Claymores care about communicating with humans? They've never cared what the humans have thought of them up to this point in time, and it is doubtful that they ever will. Furthermore, why would Claymores want to talk to humans? To enlist their help? Not likely, since the humans we've seen in the manga so far can do absolutely nothing to AOs.

Quote:
Sorry, I misread "In this anime, the most important thing is combat power" as "In anime, the most important thing is combat power".

Anyway, no it's not. Or Riful would be a lot more important than all the Fab Four put together.
Maybe I confused you with that statement. I didn't say that "the person that holds the most combat power is the most important figure in this series." I said that combat power, as well as the means and methods in which the character go aboutd acquiring that power, is what I believe to be the most important thing in this anime. Although you could make a good case for human compassion and all that other stuff pretty easily as well.

If combat power/abilities was not important, I don't think we would not see so much of this series devoted to the advancement of character combat powers. Why bother to have all these special moves...windcutter, Yoma sensing, quick blade, etc and the mechanics of these moves explained so well if it wasn't a central issue to this series? So much of this series is devoted to the "leveling up" of key characters in order for them to be able to fight against stronger foes that keep appearing.

Besides, what would be more important than combat power in the Claymore world? Diplomacy? Intelligence? None of that stuff really means anything without combat power to back it up. For example, we know that Mirai is a very intelligent leader, capable of making detailed war strategies. However, even the most intricate plan means absolutely nothing if her and her allies are unable to execute the plan.

Quote:
Well, if they must contribute to the fight... (what's wrong with just supporting the Claymores in a non-combatant capacity, anyway?) the sword is the wrong weapon for it. It's too light, and youmas - especially AB - are too tough. He should either get something heavier, like a big axe (or a polearm?) or use range weapons. Heavy crossbow or longbow, for preference. (Though then, he'd run the risk of shooting the Claymore he wants to help...)
The only reason why I feel that he must contribute to the fight is that there is simply nothing else he can contribute. Sure, he can contribute emotionally to Clare. But I mean, is he supposed to stay around Clare his whole life, waiting for her to use too much power and surpass the limit of no return, then bring her back with hugs and tears?

Also, I wasn't intending to argue with you about his weapon of choice. I don't care what he uses, as long as it is effective. I was just saying that I don't believe that there is anything he can contribute other than learning to fight.

Quote:
Also... Maybe I'm not giving him enough credit, and he plans to recruit people, but somehow, I doubt it. Fighting youmas isn't a one-man job. I don't think he realizes that.
While I don't believe that he will recruit more people, I do believe that you are not giving him enough credit. I don't think there is a ceiling to his potential, other than what the author decides to give him. Of course, this could mean that he could always be weak in combat. Or it could mean that he could be strong. I just have a lot of trouble believing that Raki, the lead male and second most important character in this series, will never be able to accomplish his only goal in life, and that is to be strong in order to protect Clare.

Quote:
But Raki's got no youma power to work with. Or push us into suspending our disbelief at what he can do.
You are right. Up to this point the author has really not given us much material to work with to show that Raki will definately be strong in the future. However, he has shown extreme bravery and heart/will of mind when Clare is in danger. I really do believe that all these characteristics are put into the series for a reason. If Raki was destined to stay weak, why write him as having bravery/strong will? Why have him take lessons from a master swordsman? If he was only intended to be the damsel of distress, then why give him all these good qualities and opportunities to become strong?

Also, while it is true that he has no Yoma power to work with, the author could easily come up with some sort of plot device that makes him combat ability explode. I know you didn't read Berserk, but in Berserk, the author gave the main character a form of armor that pretty much multiplied his abilities and gave him a way to fight on an equal level with the monsters in that series. While I know that this series is not Berserk, I just wanted to show an example of how a plot device could easily be come up with to explain Raki becoming strong, if he does someday.