View Single Post
Old 2011-04-20, 17:50   Link #238
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Yeah, this season has been a bit of a turn around, and the summer season is also looking fairly promising too. I don't think it's quite at the level of 2006-2007, where there was also a high quality, but a wider spread of genres then the current season.

Anyway my faith has been renewed after a year or two of feeding on scraps. I guess they saw that the best written shows (EG Bakemonogatari) were selling the best. It's also possible that after the 2008 crash they all saw a drop in sponsorships and funding, leading them to have to fall back on "reliables" AKA VN adaptations. Anyway besides Gonzo they all seem to have weathered the storm.

All the major studios seem to have managed to pull out some high quality titles, bar Madhouse who are still on their marvel stint, and KyoAni, where their source material is a little weak, then again Lucky Star started out pretty bad too so who knows.

I'll repeat that there's a lack of a big budget original Scifi show. The last one was Gundam 00 S2 in Fall 2008, and we haven't had much more then Gundam: Unicorn and a few other scraps since then. Spring 2008 was a high point there as we had both Macross Frontier AND Code Geass R2.

Suffice to say I have high hopes for Sacred Seven. Sunrise+Mecha=How can it go wrong?

Anyway we've got 7-9 shows with potential in my book, which means that by season end we'll have 4 or 5 shows that were good the whole way through.

This is a major improvement over the last 2 springs which only had 4 or so potentially good shows, and in both cases a significant proportion was always noitaminA. The big improvement this season has been in more "standard" offerings.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote