View Single Post
Old 2012-09-19, 02:15   Link #5
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

In this episode of Hyouka . . . wait, this is the thread rating the whole series, isn't it?

Animation Quality: - 9/10
Kyoto Animation is a studio with no fewer than two feature-length animated films under its belt. One expects the studio to deliver the goods, and Hyouka does so.

Voice Actors: - 9/10
The voice acting here is top-notch. The voices fit the characters, and in some cases, manage to fill out the characters in ways that the dialogue or story fails to do.

Script: - 7.5/10
There are times where the show is carried by its visual direction and the effort of the voice actors. Certainly, it has more heft to it than, say, K-ON!!, but the source material isn't as obtuse as Haruhi, and I'm left with the vague feeling that, perhaps, they could've done a better job. Yes, I understand that it's focused around Oreki Houtarou, and I appreciate his character development. However, the tight focus on him tends to do little justice to Ibara Mayaka, and Chitanda Eru spends so much of the series being a relatively superficial character of informed attributes, that her character development at the end comes close to skirting the line of rushed exposition.

Soundtrack - 6.5/10
The use of BGM is very well thought-out in this series, and the opening and ending songs are certainly catchy ... but, six months from now, I'm not going to remember this show for its soundtrack.

No score for editing is given, since I've not read the source material; so I can't really speak to KyoAni's editorial choices with respect to its adaptation to screen.

Enjoyment: - 7.5/10
Did I immediately fall in love with this series, like I did, Haruhi? Sadly, no. Did I like it as much as I do the entirety of K-ON!? Maybe. It's a series that started out managing to be intriguing enough to follow, and grew on me over the course of its run. And, certainly, I think highly enough of it to mention it to other people that I think might be interested.

Emotional Involvement - 6.5/10
It's more a series that I think about on an intellectual level, rather than one where I feel the characters pain or triumph. While I can appreciate the thought and symbolism that go into the budding relationship of Oreki and Chitanda, I don't feel any emotional investment in whether or not they actually get together at the end.

Total Series Rating 7.7 / 10
The Good: The natural-feeling development of Oreki, as a character. The depth given to Satoshi. The visuals and the voice acting.
The Not So Good: Certain elements of pacing, especially the development and exposition of Chitanda's character. Much of her character development seems to come right at the end of the series. In the end, of course, the important question is: Will I add this show to my permanent collection, should someone decide it's worth the licensing fee? The answer: Absolutely.